For my very first Guest Author Interview, I’m joined by none other than the amazing, bestselling author K. M. Neuhold! She’s here to talk about her brand new book Uncomplicated, which is the second in her Inked series, and is out today!
1. What inspired you to write Uncomplicated? Can you tell us a little more about the story?
The inspiration question is always such a tough one for me because it can be really hard to pinpoint ONE source of inspiration for most of my stories. Beau first showed up on the scene in Going Commando as just this fun, flirty bartender most of the Heathens crew wanted to bang, and Royal liked to brag that he once DID bang. I originally didn’t plan for him to have his own story, just for him to be a fun side character, but as the series wore on, I started to get the sense there was a lot more to him than he let on originally. THEN as Cas appeared in From Ashes and Finn appeared in Shattered Pieces, things started to fall into place. This book took me by surprise in a lot of ways because it’s a bit different than most of my MMM books. I don’t want to spoil anything, so let’s just say that these characters had a bit more angst than I expected from them, but in the end I think that makes the HEA even sweeter.
2. Can you share something with us about the book that isn’t in the blurb?
It’s so hard to fit nuances of a story into a short blurb, so when it says in the blurb that Beau knows he shouldn’t be fooling around with Cas’ ex, what I DIDN’T fit in, is that for the first chunk of the story, no one realizes Finn is Cas’ ex, especially not Beau 😉 .
3. What was the hardest scene to write?
I’m not sure about the hardest scene, but Finn has some trouble with a gang and resolving that issue took me WEEKS to figure out.
4. What did you edit out of this book? Or really want to include but it just didn’t fit?
I would have liked to include a lot more flashbacks to Cas and Finn’s past together, but it just didn’t fit the flow of the story, so there’s only one full on peek back at their history.
5. What or who (or both) has influenced you most as a writer?
There were always books in my house growing up so I read A LOT starting from a young age and I think that was a huge influence. That, and my love for shmoopy love stories.
6. Beau, Cas and Finn’s story is the second in your Inked Series, do you have any plans for more stories in this series? Or any more in the Heathen’s Ink world?
Kyle is absolutely still waiting on his Happily Ever After. I also have a feeling Clay’s ex (the one who introduced him to shibari), Max’s boss, and maybe even Liam’s therapist might still have stories coming.
7. What sort of challenges did you face writing this book?
Like I said, this one had a bit more angst than I expected and I tried to fight the characters on it initially which only really accomplished stalling me in my tracks for a week or so. Once I gave in and let them be a little angsty and upset it was much more smooth sailing.
8. If we made Uncomplicated into a movie, who would be your dream casting for Beau, Cas and Finn?
I’m going to be honest, I don’t know like any actors haha. I legit just tried to google “hot actors” to try and answer this question. Beau would need to be someone with long-ish blond hair, I kind of picture him as one of the Hemsworths maybe? And for Cas and Finn, they’re both bigger, muscular guys. Haha that’s probably not all that helpful, but I can tell you if this was made into a movie I’d demand to be present at the casting sessions so I could enjoy all the pretty men showing up to audition.
9. As an experienced author, what do you have any advice or tips for new authors who are just starting out?
Don’t read reviews.
10. What is your favourite childhood book?
11. What do you like to do when you’re not writing? Do you have a secret passion or hobby that we don’t know about?
I mostly read lol. I DO have a bit of a reality TV addiction too, which you can totally see reflected in Beau in this book haha.
12. Finally, what’s your favourite dinosaur?
Thanks for dropping in and giving such excellent answers to my many, many questions!
You can find K. M. Neuhold on her website, Twitter, Instagram and Amazon. Plus you can join their awesome reader ground, Neuhold’s Nerds, and sign up for their newsletter.
Uncomplicated is available now, and you should definitely check it out!