Hello hello hello! It’s summer time and while the weather may not quite be hot (at least in the UK), today’s author knows how to bring the heat. It’s the fabulous E. M. Denning, who’s here to chat about her divine new release Never Enough, which you can download now!
1. What inspired you to write Never Enough? Can you tell us a little more about the story?
When I started writing the Upstate Education series, Vince and Tommy were these background entities who weren’t supposed to get a book. Book Three originally was going to be Will’s (You met him in Half as Much) but sometimes my characters have other ideas. It wasn’t long before Tommy and Daddy Vince were demanding their story be told.
Never Enough is a story of strength, vulnerability, and belonging. There’s something special about all of my boys, but I am so in love with Tommy and his Daddy. They really found their perfect match and I love the way they grow together.
2. Can you share something with us about the book that isn’t in the blurb?
Shawn is Tommy’s best friend and I absolutely love him. He will be in book four, so you will definitely want to read Never Enough so you get to meet him before hand.
3. What was the hardest scene to write?
I always have trouble with the end of a book. Always. It’s always the hardest for me, getting through that last ten or fifteen thousand words.
4. What did you edit out of this book? Or really want to include but it just didn’t fit?
Nothing. LOL I actually don’t know. I’d have to go look. I don’t outline and I write completely linear, so there’s no out of order scenes that didn’t make the cut, or something the didn’t fit. When I write, the stories unfold organically and I follow along. Sometimes I’ll cut something and start a chapter over if I feel things are going in the wrong direction, but I couldn’t tell you a specific thing that didn’t make it into this book.
5. Tommy and Vince’s story is the third in your Upstate Education Series, do you have any plans for more stories in this series or are you planning something new?
There will be a fourth and final Upstate Education book. I’m hoping to finish it in time for a late summer release. I’d tell you what it’s about, but it’s a secret. I am already planning something new and exciting that will come after Upstate, so stay tuned.
6. If we made Never Enough into a movie, who would be your dream casting for Tommy and Vince?
Oh. Wow. I think Timothy Chalamet would be a beautiful Tommy. The hair color is wrong but I wouldn’t even care. He’s stunning and brilliant. and Vince…. Um… I don’t KNOW.
7. What inspired you to start writing?
I’ve been writing for a long time and it was an assignment in the fourth grade that got me started. I wrote poetry for a long time before making the jump to novels. It’s something I’ve always enjoyed doing.
8. What or who (or both) has influenced you most as a writer?
There’s so many things that have influenced me as a writer. Dean Koontz. Poetry. Other MM romance authors. My friends. It’s really easy to influence writers, you pretty much just need to exist.
9. As an experienced author, what do you have any advice or tips for new authors who are just starting out?
Finish your stuff. Stop editing as you go and just go. Finish your book. Then finish another. Don’t worry about not being as good as other writers, we all started out not knowing how to do this. It’s not something writers are born with. No one comes out of the womb knowing how to do this. It’s something each one of us have had to learn over the years and we’re all still learning.
10. What is your favourite childhood book?
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery. Anne is my spirit animal. I love those books so much.
11. What do you like to do when you’re not writing? Do you have a secret passion or hobby that we don’t know about?
I used to crochet and I sometimes play the guitar, but mostly I like to read. I’m not very exciting. Oh, and I listen to a LOT of nightcore on YouTube.
12. Finally, what’s your favourite dinosaur?
Stegosaurus for the win!
Thank you so much for chatting with me today, and giving such great answers. Your advice is excellent and I can’t wait to read about Daddy Vince and Tommy.
Never Enough is out now.
You can find E.M. Denning on Amazon, Twitter and Instagram, plus you can join their fabulous Facebook Group, Denning’s Darlings, for sneak peaks, book talk and general awesomeness.