Spooky season is upon us and what better way to celebrate than with a fabulous romantic thriller?! Today Brittany Cournoyer is here to tell us all about her brand new novel, Sinister Shadows, which is available now.
1. What inspired you to write Sinister Shadows? Can you tell us a little more about the story?
I was watching a movie on Netflix that has a similar storyline, and as I was watching it I thought how I could make a m/m version of it. The story is about a man named Duncan who wakes up in a hospital with a severe case of amnesia. While there, another man named Pierce tells him they are married, and he takes Duncan home to recover. But slowly, he starts having flashbacks, and he realizes things aren’t what they appear to be.
2. Can you share something with us about the book that isn’t in the blurb?
It has a unique happily ever after and hopefully when something is discovered the readers will ask themselves what the hell just happened.
3. What was the hardest scene to write?
Definitely a fight scene toward the end. I’m not really good with those.
4. What did you edit out of this book? Or really want to include but it just didn’t fit?
Not much had to be edited out, and I think I included everything I wanted to since it’s not very complicated, just creepy.
5. What came first with Sinister Shadows, the characters or the plot? Is that the same for all your books?
The plot definitely came first, and no, usually my characters come first. I’ll see a photo and think “I want to write him.”
6. If we made Sinister Shadows into a movie, who would be your dream casting for Pierce and Duncan?
Ahhh hell. This is a hard one. Jeffrey Dean Morgan for Pierce and maybe Tom Daley for Duncan.
7. What inspired you to start writing?
I’ve always loved to read since I was a little kid. As I got older, I started having my own stories in my head, so I feel like writing was a natural transition.
8. What or who (or both) has influenced you most as a writer?
Anne Rule definitely. I love her crime stories. I’m also a huge Stephen King fan.
9. As an experienced author, what do you have any advice or tips for new authors who are just starting out?
Keep going. Never think anything you write isn’t worthy of being published. There is a reader out there for every kind of book written.
10. What is your favourite childhood book?
Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret.
11. What do you like to do when you’re not writing? Do you have a secret passion or hobby that we don’t know about?
I haven’t done it for a while, but I enjoy diamond painting. I also spend a lot of time with my dog. She keeps me pretty busy!
12. Finally, what’s your favourite dinosaur?
Thanks so much for stopping by! I’m excited to add Sinister Shadows to my TBR pile. You can by and download Sinister Shadows now!
Brittany was born in a small town in Alabama and moved to Indiana when she was thirteen years old. She currently resides there and works as an operator at a local hospital. When she isn’t working, she loves to spend her free time writing stories, playing with her puppy, Delilah, watching television, and spending time with loved ones.
There are lots of places to find Brittany – simply click here for the full list.